Sunday, May 14, 2023

What Am I Playing Next? | SUPER CASTLEVANIA IV (1991, SNES)

Hello readers,

I thought from here on out, I'd add some more substance to the game I play and review for this challenge. So starting with today's game, I'm going to release a quick post like this to talk about my thoughts going into playing a specific game for the first time, my experiences with other games in the series, some fun facts about the game itself, its development, its release and more.

We start the first edition with Super Castlevania IV, which released originally on October 31, 1991 in Japan and on December 4, 1991 in NA.


BASIC INFO
  • Initial Release Date: October 31, 1991 (JP)
  • Platforms: SNES
  • Genre: Action, Platformer
  • Developer / Publisher: Konami / Konami
  • Series: Castlevania
  • MOBY RATING: 8.4 (#443 of 157K)
It's the first Castlevania game to release for the SNES, and the eighth release in the Castlevania series overall. Releasing on a new generation console obviously comes with its many perks and improvements over the previous entry, including 16-bit graphics and improved controls.

It appears as if this game will re-use its setting, characters and basic plot from previous entries, so you're still playing Simon Belmont, must defeat the vampire 'Dracula' and the setting is 1691 Transylvania. Apparently, this game is something like what we'd call a 'reboot' today, which explains why these things are re-used. 

The game is considered one of the greatest video games of all time. This does not mean that it will be one of the best games you play today of course, but rather that it stands out for what it delivered in relation to its contemporaries.

MY HISTORY WITH THE SERIES

Actually, there are two releases in the series that happened in 1990, so you'd think I already have reviewed Castlevania games before. However, I chose not to add 'Castlevania II: Belmont's Revenge' to the play-list at all as it is a GameBoy title and it's away from the main series. Mainly, the fact that it's on a platform I, to be frank, didn't have great experiences with in terms of game quality up to this point had me not interested in it, though I would have included it, if 'Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse' hadn't been released in the same year as well.

Well, and if I had a positive experience with Castlevania III: Dracula's Curse. Unfortunately, I didn't, which is why I removed it from the spreadsheet at the time instead of giving a massively incomplete review for it. From what I remember, the gameplay was a mix of being too difficult, controls too hard to get the hang of and that the only thing I really enjoyed during my time with it was the dark atmosphere. I'm hoping to stick with Castlevania IV for longer.

MY THOUGHTS BEFORE STARTING THE GAME

Castlevania IV represents a jump to the next generation of consoles and it's considered to be one of the best games of the early 90s, so I do have high expectations going in. Those expectations are slightly tempered due to my experience with this game's predecessor, and I can imagine having a tough time with both the controls and the level design once again. The atmosphere should, as per usual with the series, be dark and tense, and posivitely so. 

REVIEWS OF OTHER GAMES IN THE SERIES

None.

No comments:

Post a Comment